This week was a busy one with a return to the linocuts project. Our new house affords us the opportunity to take on the projects we’ve been dreaming about for the past few years. Linocut prints are one of them.
Progress has been good. Right after the move I ordered set of new carving tools from Pfeil Tools, which have quickly become the best tools I’ve ever used. Before their purchase, I was using a Speedball carver set which was okay. It got the job done, though with some difficulty at the time. If you can afford to buy a good set of tools, it will make carving very enjoyable.
I have same several prints off of a flower design I threw together as a warm up, and I’m pleased with the results. Look for more linocuts updates shortly. The sketchbook is filling up with ideas, and I’m itching to get going.
I’ve decided to get started with doing some quick linocuts. Simple designs to get my brain thinking about negative and positive space, composition while focusing on technique. My strawberry linocut fits the bill. Sketched on a 2″ x 3″ unbacked linoleum, I went over the drawing with a blue Sharpie to protect the lines. It was a quick carve. I haven’t inked it up yet to see the outcome due to another project that came up sooner than expected. Hopefully, I’ll have some things to share very soon 🙂